Tuesday, June 26, 2007

MMMM!!

Aaaahhhh... (long sigh of blissful contentment) Ok, yum. Just had a very satisfying dinner of Maki (sushi roll) from a sushi place right around the corner from us. I LOVE maki and could seriously eat it every night. Unfortunately for me, Brian only "likes" it and is convinced that they put something in it to make you (me!) crave it. The idea, I'm sure, is not too far off -I always want it! I think I'm getting Gwyneth hooked too. She ate the little piece I was gracious enough to spare for her from my limited quantity (I say "limited" 'cause in my mind there is never enough...). Austin got a piece too, but he said it was too spicy and almost started choking (didn't want to swallow). Gwyneth, on the other hand, ate some of the ginger & wasabi with it and asked for more! She made this little surprised "O" with her mouth and her eyes popped open when the wasabi hit her. Thought she might cry, but she just kinda smacked her little lips and went for it again. Funny how watching the kids eat just further displays their personalities - Austie is very cautious, prefers to stick to the safe routine, but will timidly try something new, and Gwyneth throws herself into things with gusto and likes something new and exciting to do/eat or she isn't happy.

So, all that to say, I guess there's not really a point to this, and I know I'm rambling and I'm sure it's not particularly that interesting, BUT I just wanted to dwell on another yummy sushi experience and this gave me the excuse :-).

12 comments:

Michelle said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... i'm with ya girl. i'm with ya.

Ginger said...

We LOVE LOVE Daikichi!! My favorite is the Manhattan Roll--so much that someone brought me one right after I had Reid (it was the first thing I ate about 2 minutes after he was born - heehee) Ill have to try the maki...and good for Gwyneth! I hope Reid likes sushi too..

Jennifer said...

Yeah for sushi. I love California rolls. What is Maki exactly?

JL

AmyB said...

Ginger -one of my favs too! I got a Manhattan Roll (and a California roll too Jenn!) and a Daikichi roll...and Brian got a Mexican roll! We just ended up splitting everything. Yummm! I like Daikichi a lot, but we also just tried Nana Sushi (across from Ches. General) and we liked it a bit better. Just a bit more personal. The owners are our age and their (her?) parents were the ones waiting on us. Ha ha, kinda makes it sound like a diner huh? It's nice though, and the appetizer we got was fantastic!! You'll have to try it out sometime!

Jennifer - Apparently, the word Maki is Japanese for "roll" so it's just kind of the generic term for all of the rolls, not a specific type. I was researching sushi yesterday (obsessed? uh, yeah) and was finding out all sorts of interesting things. Fun!

DANG! Shouldn't have started thinking about it again 'cause now I want some MORE! Hmmm...Brian will be gone for dinner.... :-)

Michelle said...

Oooh Ginger. The Manhattan role is my favorite too!!! I can't find them anywhere else. Agh. So good. Grrr. Now I want one.

Jennifer - The word sushi is an English word that has come to be understood as a raw fish and rice dish, but that's not really accurate.

A real raw fish and rice dish is called Sashimi (usually clumps of rice with a slab of raw fish on top).

The rolls that we think of when we say Sushi were originally termed makizushi or maki. These are vinegared rice snacks and may or may not include raw fish.

So Am's, being the proper girl that she is, when she speaks of maki is referring to vinegared rice (& varied accompaniments) rolled in seaweed. Right Am's?

Other types include:
Nigiri - made with toppings laid on hand-formed clumps of rice.
Inarr - Toppings stuffed into fried tofu.
Chirashi-zushi - toppings scattered over a bowl of vinegared rice.

I think I'm going to have get some from lunch tomorrow. Mmmm.

Michelle said...

haha. guess am's is faster at the draw, eh?

AmyB said...

Ha ha! Beat ya! :-) I knew you'd have the more in-depth answer anyway 'Shell, thought I'd better get in their first :-)

Ginger said...

sushi dorks--guess I wish I was one :)

Jenn said...

I love the kinds of sushi (at least what we call sushi :) that include rice and seaweed but I am not too fond of just eating the raw fish, too slimy!! :) We went to Daikichi a few years back with a coupon thinking we really liked sushi and got a BIG platter with the raw fish. We left w/out eating most of it and assured them we didn't want the leftovers. It was so funny, the best part was when Chad went to Wendys afterwards. :) hee hee thought you might enjoy that story Ames. We stick with the rolled sushi these days ...

AmyB said...

Jenn, Ha ha, that is funny...I'm sorry I missed that! Yeah, I can't actually claim to have eaten anything other than rolls...I'd like to, I just enjoy the rolls so much I hate to get something else when I'm there!

Katie Virginia said...

Makes me want some sushi!!!!!!

LiAnn said...

Who'd have thought sushi would be so conversation-inspiring? OK...what am I saying...it's food right?! Can I get an AMEN?

So jealous...LOVE Daikichi...last time we were there we were able to eat with Mark & Ginger and Danny and others and it was so fun...I was so full I wanted to to the "unbutton the top button" thing.

Miss all you girls! And some sushi too! Neal's convinced that you can't really get good fresh sushi unless you're on the coast...so we rarely get it. :(