Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Little Trip to the Antepartum Unit

Some of you may have heard that we recently had a little trip to the hospital so I wanted to let everyone know what was going on. We weren't trying to keep it a secret, just thought I was going home like 4 times and it ended up being a longer stay. Everything is totally fine. Here's the scoop (sorry, it's kinda long)- I've been having contractions for like 2 months but they got a bit stronger and I had a little spotting that day so my Dr. said he wanted me to go into the hospital (it was at night...why is this stuff ALWAYS at night?) for monitoring to see if I was really in labor. At that point I was 35 weeks so normally they would make sure the baby is ok, send you home and let you wait it out. Apparently they don't try to stop labor after 34 weeks (They said the baby is fully formed then...you know, lungs and everything). Bit of a mix-up at the hospital 'cause the Dr. on call heard from my dr. that I was 33 weeks (which is too early) so they gave me drugs to try to stop the contractions and I ended up staying overnight. Never been on a muscle relaxer before...kinda funny! The contractions stopped and then the next day I realized that they thought I was 33 weeks and corrected them. So, they did an ultrasound to confirm, took me off the meds and right when I was about to go home, the contractions started up pretty good again. Because I'm having a Csection, if I'm really in labor, they will go ahead and do the surgery then. So I had to stay another night because they had to find out for sure if it was real labor (contractions actually making you dilate) or just plain ol' contractions. It was plain ol' contractions. So, nothing really wrong, they just had to get it all figured out! Just considered it God's blessing that I had two days to chill and not be responsible for anything! Was a little strange though not knowing if we were going to leave with a newborn or not! Glad we didn't though...at that point he'd still be a bit of a preemie so I guess he'd probably have been staying a bit longer. And, though obviously not as important, it's nice to have a couple of weeks left! My Csection is scheduled for Feb. 1 so unless I go into labor earlier, that's when we'll see him! Can't wait to see him and NOT BE PREGNANT!!! :-)

Aside from that, things around here have been a tad crazy for us... we celebrated Christmas and Brian's bday on the 5th with his parents, Christmas with his sister & brother in law Saturday, Austin's bday this past Sunday (his bday is actually today), been trying to get our guest bedroom set up for a trainee that is arriving tomorrow (just for 2 weeks), and trying to misc. other errands and projects done inbetween. You know, the whole last minute rush to get EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH done before the baby arrives :-). Because it obviously HAS to be done before the baby comes. Well, anyway, that's what it can feel like. Good to remember that the whole house doesn't HAVE to be painted and organized right now and every project doesn't HAVE to be completed. Life still goes on after a baby...everything will still be here to do after the newborn phaze flies by.

So, that's us. 2 1/2 weeks and counting! Oh yeah, since we've been asked -we have picked out a name (finally), but we are keeping it a secret :-)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad you're all well.

Doesn't Austie have a name for him??

Les said...

That must have been the day I visited you? Glad everything is ok- you're almost there!

Bekah said...

Yay for the baby! hehe! Cant wait to see the little stinker!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad all is well with you. Thanks for the call this morning. Look forward to calling you later!

I love you friend,

JL

Bethany said...

Can't wait to see him!!!!!!

Glad you are okay