Sunday, September 23, 2007

Trader Joe's

I just sat down to eat a little snack involving peanut butter and graham crackers and recalled that a good friend recently recommended the delicious graham crackers at Trader Joe's. "Worth the drive" I think was the comment. Problem is, that means a 1 1/2 hour round trip drive with 2 munchkins for me. I've shopped there once or twice, but don't have a list of enough "great buys" to make it worth the trip (not to mention spending the gas). So, the question for you all is this: What are the things that you buy specifically at Trader Joe's (and why)? I'm thinking things that you only buy there because 1) you can't find it anywhere else 2) it's a great deal and/or 3) is super yummy, etc. ? So graham crackers are on the list (thanks Bethany!!), the tomato soup is a fav of mine, but what else???? Anything and everything you've got would be helpful!

15 comments:

Ginger said...

Ha! Um, lets see.. keifer, yogurt, goat cheese, salad dressing(tuscan balsamic), tomato soup, pretzels and chips(because that are cheap for healthy), beer, TEAS!!($1.50 for white pomagranite) shampoos,and more..and because its a fun time to go. They have nice flowers there too for about $4 and much better than walmart's. I like what they stand for, and if ytou use your own recycled shopping bags, you get entered into a raffle for a bunch of free TJ stuff. It is a good outing about 2x's a month..but soon there will be one on this side of the water..yay!

Michelle said...

The best deals are on the nuts and cheeses- so stock up on those.

1. low sugar organic jelly
2. 99 cent marinara sauce that is yum
3. tomato and roasted red pepper soup
4. greek style yogurt
5. molasses cookies
6. spinach and ricotta ravioli
7. charles shaw wines
8. 100% maple syrup
9. keifer (strawberry flavored)
10. winter blend coffee

it's worth it!

Michelle said...

ps - DO NOT go on the weekends. You will curse life and the small aisles and the multitudes of people that are standing in your way in them. I like to go on a weekday first thing in the morning when they open. HUGE difference.

Diane said...

peanut butter pretzels, they are so good, buy lots!!

Ginger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginger said...

I second the weekday morning thing..once we went at 9:30 on a monday and it was empty! The sales people gave the kids free treats and it was lots of fun.

Kate Thomas. said...

Bruschetta and ginger snaps! yummm
miss you! congrats on baby boy!

Kate Thomas. said...

this is Katie Thomas by the way. I have a blog now too. Now i'm a dork like the rest of you!!! just kidding!

Catherine said...

Hummus and pita chips!

Catherine said...

Oh and, of course, the wine. Did I need to add that?

Kate Thomas. said...

Ames, Honey crisp apples are amazing, they are tart and sweet at the same time, they are red but not meally like some red apples. I've never heard of them untill i went into the most beautiful grocery store i've ever laid eyes on! Maybee they are only in Texas? or... maybe you could find them at Trader Joe's!

Ashleigh said...

Amy, it's so funny. I just posted something similar last week. We don't have any Trader Joe's in Colorado, but they have one at my parents' house. I personally love their peanut butter cups. Yummy!

erin said...

Lundenburgs rice chips. Charles Shaw. pizza dough. and our fav of all is the blueberry preserves...but i can't remember the brand name!! it's in a square jar...soooo good. we miss tj's!!!!!!

AmyB said...

Thanks you all!!! This is extremely helpful! If you think of anything else, please keep adding! I probably won't be able to get out there for another week or two.

Jennifer said...

I buy there regualaraly. Here are my favorites:

1.) Gouda, Cheddar, Brie & Boursin (their cheeses are delicious & cheap)
2.) Woven wheat crackers (like Triscuits)
3.) Vanilla Granola
4.) Frozen Pizza ( I love their chicken-BBQ, so good)
5.) Kelsey got me hooked on their frozen 3 cheese macaroni & cheese. You must try it once. I can't garantee though that you won't become addicted!
6.) Alphabet Letter cookies. The kids love them.
7.) They're organic berry applesauce- a little more than most applesauce but sooo good.
8.) Hummus, Pita chips.
9.)Apple Strudel for company. $2.99 in frozen/dessert section.
10.) Bruschetta.
11.) Tazziki
12.) Strawberry Kefir (but do not get the plain kefir)
13.) I buy my soymilk there.
14.) Multigrain Pancake and Baking Mix
15.) Real maple syrup.
16.) Delicious Breads ( I love their Italian style loaf for pasta)
17.) the kids love their "A strawberry walked into a bar" Cereal bars & their Fig ones are great (Samuel's favorite).
18.) Their Complete oatmeal (brown sugar). It's instant for those days we have to get out the door fast.
19.) Their chewy molasses cookies.
20.) chocolate covered pretzels.
21.) Their dark chocolate selection.
22.) Tomato & Red pepper soup
23.) I buy their Turkey meatballs and their small golden potatoes and make Swedish meatballs and potatoes- Mike's favorite. You do need to buy lingonberry sauce elsewhere though.
24.) I love their Chinese chicken (orange mandarin). It's like General Tso's chicken but much, much better for you and cheaper than ordering take-out.
25.) Their golden rounds are like Ritz crackers.
26.) Frozen herbs in a little tray. They have garlic, basil, etc. in these little trays. You just pop out what you need and freeze the rest. Tastes as good as fresh!
27.) Libby eats their Mango Sauce & applesauce with apricot - and it's definitely textured!
28.) Their frozen veggies are so good. i love their green-beans and broccoli. Tastes so fresh.
29.) I love their dates. they're in the fruit section. sometimes I splurge and get the ones with coconut.
30.) They have great Baklava.
31.) They have a selection of pies/tarts. Have tried them at people's partys. Always a hit.
32.) I like their whole wheat basta and their brown jasmine rice.
33.) Their coffee & tea is good.

I miss their wine. In PA you can't buy alcohol in the grocery store at all! So TJ's up here has NO alcohol. Sad sigh.

I love so many things and find that I always find something new or different. Here's the deal too. If you don't like it, return it. Even if it's an empty box or jar. You don't need your receipt. And they mean it. They want you to be completely happy!

I'll let you know if I think of more!

Love,

JL

P.S.~ Go shopping earlier in the morning. They open at 9 and they're always emptier the earlier you're there!

P.P.S.~ Have Rebekah (your sister, sp?) meet up with you sometimes. My friend KB & I (who lives in Richmond) would meet me there and we would shop and then hang out at Starbucks in the same shopping center or maybe you two could grab some lunch. It's a perfect in-between stop with Richmond & Chesapeake!