Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wood Floors

Ok, LOVE my new wood floors, but don't have a product to clean them with. I'm looking for a non-toxic wood floor cleaner -any recommendations???? I need something that you don't have to wet mop with. Not supposed to wet mop 'em 'cause the water will warp 'em. Any suggestions????

BTW- I've been hoping to get the house totally in order and decorated before I posted pics, but that's not going to happen so I'm hoping to have some pics taken and posted tomorrow :-)

Hugs to you all!

11 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I use distilled white wine vinegar on our wood floors.

Katie Virginia said...

hmmm... I've never heard of Ashleigh's suggestion, but may definitely try it! It doesn't dry the wood out?

Anyway, I use a Method dust mop from Target that has the dust part, but then you can put a cloth on their and squirt some Method wood cleaner and mop it up. I've only used it a few times though... So I won't say I completely sold on it. But so far so good :)

Catherine said...

Murphy Oil Soap. My floors are 90 years old and it works great on them.

Ginger said...

ok-so all these suggestions dont require a wet mop?? Id like to know how to do that.
I always clean my floors with a mixture I make called "Mamma's Earth Mop"
Its basically water, white vinegar, olive oil, and tea tree and lavendar oil. Of course, most essential oils will do, I like those smells the best.

Diane said...

Amy, I used a Bona mop, you do wet the terry cloth cover and the ring it out well. (I think method has a similar mop now) You don't rewet while you mop. Then for cleaner I use Basic H or Bona hard wood floor cleaner, both are used from a spray bottle. I have washed my wood weekly with this system for all my years :) and never had trouble with the floor. It was the recommendation of the carpenter that did our first wood floor.

Sara said...

Amy, I need your address to send you a christmas card. Could you please email it to me. And your parents too. Thanks so much, Sara

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bethany said...

I don't know how you would never get wood floors wet. I have had wood in my last two houses and although they are old always wet mop them....now not with a soaking mop but with kids there is no way to clean them without a little liquid. I use basic h on my wood floors and use the method microfiber mop. I have use murphy's oil before too. Basically you just don't want water sitting on your floors. I have also used the method wood floor cleaner...it smells very nice.

AmyB said...

Thanks you all!

Diane, where do you get Bona floor cleaner? Is it something that will last a while? I have A LOT of wood floor to clean.

Bethany - do you have to order Basic h through someone who sells it?? Always wondered how to get the shaklee stuff. Heard good things about it all!

I'm guessing I could just put either of those in a squirty type bottle to use it? Spray bottle would work, but like I said, I probably have 1200 sq. feet of wood to clean (the whole downstairs) so having to bend down and spray the whole thing might be a little much (unless I'm missing something). Sorry for all the questions! Just used to pulling out the ol' bucket and wet mopping everything at the old place!

Diane said...

Amy, I get the Bona from Home Depot. Lowe's has a similar product called "PB", but with all the wood you have, Basic H would be very economical. it is my favorite cleaner and I use it with the Bona mop. (or any terry cloth mop) As far as the bucket and mop, I think you need to use a spray bottle because you don't want too much moisture on the floor. Though someone may have a better way. I bought a spray bottle that has a strong spray so I am not hunch over as I clean. Another thing I love for my wood floors is my shark vacuum. Lightweight and the kids can do it for you! Get a good one though, the cheaper ones don't pick up much.

Michelle said...

Maybe I'm a bit late but I'll chime in.... I too use Basic H. Bethany spurred me onto checking into it. I got my from Annie Johns. You just add like a half teaspoon or something super tiny to a spray bottle of water and squirt as you go. Then I buff it/mop it with one of those microfiber mops. It'll be a work out 'cause, at least on my floors, I push pretty hard on the mop to get it all. Annie suggested adding some Basic G to the mixture for floors since that is a Germicide. One bottle of that will last you until all your kids are in college- seriously.
Have fun!