Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dinner Conversation

One of Austin's favorite games is having Brian ask him some addition problems so he can figure them out in his head while we are sitting at dinner. Notice I said Brian asks him...we wouldn't get very far if I did the asking :-). Here is a snippet of our dinner conversation tonight (after a couple of rounds of "what's 12+7 or 6+8" etc)-

Austie "Hey dad, can we do some more addition please?" (like seriously, is he Brian's kid or what? Who ASKS to do addition??!)

Brian "What's 33+18?"

"It's 41...no 51"

"Good job buddy! What's 42 + 24?"

"66"

He then proceeds to answer 88+8, 88+18 and 70+31 correctly. In his head. Meanwhile I'm still tryin' to use my fingers :-) Brian told me to pull out my tiddlywinks so I could figure it out. Ha ha.

Great job Munchie Love! God has given you a love for letters & numbers and is enabling you to learn a lot! I'm so proud of you buddy!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

OK, seriously? He didn't have to use his fingers? aggggggh! You have to get this kid tested or into some special program. Keep feeding his desire to learn!!!!!

Katherine M. said...

Amy, Don and I have just come from two homeschool conventions; and whether you homeschool or not, you might want to check out the Virginia convention in Richmond to
see some amazing curriculum, books and games for gifted students. Aurora Lipper-a pilot, astronomer, mechanical engineer and university instructor- will be at HEAV. She is young, small, redheaded and an incredible teacher. She is attempting to inspire a love of science is young people. Her website is www.SuperchargedScience.com. I would highly recommend checking this site out for yourself.
I know this is a busy time. Hope you are doing well.

Lizzy said...

omigosh! I just commented on your last post about Austie's amazing capacity to problem-solve but this is truly out-of-the-ordinary. He is definitely a 'gifted' child...watch out, world!!!